Friday, July 25, 2014

Why I made this blog...

I have created this blog to collect and present information to parents. I work with many parents and children with childhood disorders and behavior problems. In my experience I have found that parents often come to me with similar questions about their child's behavior, and I often end up saying the same thing. We aren't taught how to parent, as we are taught how to read or do math. It is something we learn through our experiences as children, observing other people, and trial and error. Naturally, we get confused, get overwhelmed, and make mistakes.

Parents also come to me with concerns about their child's development. They worry that their child may be falling far behind in development, failing to learn, or exhibiting abnormal behavior. In truth, there is a wide range of "normal" for children, but sometimes we are right to be concerned. I will also try to provide information to help parents figure out what may be "normal" and what may actually be a significant problem.

This blog is a place for me to collect and make available a variety of resources on how to identify and work with many of the problems that may come up during childhood and how parents might address those problems. I will be posting guides on certain problem behaviors, resources on how to identify potential problems, and tips on how to tell what is "normal" and what may need further evaluation. I will also occasionally post information about certain problems that have come up and how they were resolved; it can be comforting to see what we're not alone in our experiences, and seeing how someone else solved a problem can be very helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Every child has different childhood behavior which should be corrected if it's a negative one.

    ReplyDelete